Wings are a great option for a main dish, but I also know there is a big football game or something coming up soon, and these wings would be a perfect addition to your assortment of delicious snacks and appetizers. I know “lower fat” is not usually a big consideration for football snacks, but for those of you who made resolutions for a leaner 2016, this recipe/technique may be a good option. These wings are easy to make and turn out crispy and delicious. I promise. This is NOT one of those leaner-but-tastes-nasty kind of recipes.
I know most people like buffalo chicken wings, and you can definitely make that flavor with this recipe. You can add your favorite bottled wing sauce or a homemade recipe. I personally LOVE and recommend the honey-lime sauce that is included with this recipe . They are sweet, tangy, and crunchy. Yum. (The honey-lime wings are what I have pictured in this post.)
Baking powder is the secret ingredient that makes these wings so crispy, and since these wings are coated in baking powder instead of flour, I think they would work for your gluten-free friends too. Enjoy and share!
Baked Chicken Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wings and drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- sauce of your choice, homemade or bottled
For Honey-Lime Sauce
- 2/3 cup honey
- juice from one lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- sprinkle of ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (found in the Asian food section of the grocery store; adds a lot of flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- Adjust your oven racks so that one is positioned in the upper middle and one is positioned in the lower middle of your oven. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil for easier clean-up and then top with a baking rack. Spray with cooking spray.
- Rinse wings in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Add wings to a large zip top bag or a large bowl.
- In a very small bowl, mix baking powder and salt together and then add to wings and toss until covered.
- Arrange coated wings in a single layer on the prepared pan.
- Bake wings on the lower rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Move wings to the upper rack of the oven and increase oven temperature to 425 degrees. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove wings and turn them over with tongs. Return to oven to bake until golden brown and crisp, 20-30 minutes longer.
- While wings are baking, prepare sauce of your choice. For honey-lime or buffalo sauce above, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Toss wings in a bowl of sauce of your choice and enjoy. Source: Our Best Bites