I started this blog one year ago today as a way to share good recipes as well as some occasional reviews and encouragement with family and friends, and it has been a blessing. I have loved all of the cooking and baking, of course, but I have also loved connecting with people near and far. Thank you for reading and for baking and cooking with me. Every comment has been an encouragement. Thank you, thank you!
I don’t usually post on Tuesdays, but since today is the official anniversary of the launch of Christine’s Taste of Heaven, I felt it was necessary. I thought I’d do a round-up of my favorites from the blog so far. If you are a new reader, or you are not sure where to start, this might be a good list to check. You should probably know going in that I am not a fan of all chocolate things, so if you are a chocolate fan, you may want to check the index (I hear the chocolate silk pie and flourless chocolate cake are divine). I hope you will enjoy anything you try that has been posted on the blog, but this list contains my personal favorites that I made myself narrow down to a dozen. Click on the recipe titles to be taken to the recipe.
(Be sure to check the end of this post for a fun birthday giveaway.)
- Blueberry Buckle. This cake is one of the best things ever. I love the big blueberries, the moist cake, and the sugary streusel topping. It can be breakfast or dessert.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies. Of course chocolate chip cookies are on the list. Though I am not a fan of things that are all chocolate, I love chocolate chips in big soft cookies.
- Creme Brulee. All I can say is YUM. The crackly top and the creamy smooth vanilla custard inside…
- Pumpkin Cheesecake. I have never been a big fan of cheesecake, but it is growing on me, and this pumpkin one is too good for words.
- Sopaipilla Cheesecake. I am almost embarrassed to post this one since it begins with canned crescent roll dough, but I cannot deny that it tastes fabulous. The cinnamon-sugar combination gets me every time.
- Fruit Pizza. Fresh fruit on a giant sugar cookie? One of my all-time favorites.
- Tres Leches Cake. This cake looks so simple, but the flavor is so so good. The whip cream layer with a cherry on top is so pretty and perfect.
- Zucchini Bread. I had no idea zucchini bread could be so good. This one seduces me with its simple spices and wonderful texture.
- Fluffernutter Sandwich Krispies. I am a sucker for peanut butter. These are super sweet and gooey, and the Honey Bunches of Oats for the cereal is perfect.
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars. The layers and textures and spices combined in these bars are irresistible. Apple, caramel, oatmeal, cool cream cheese…
- Caramelized Nuts/Cinnamon-Sugar Baked Nuts. Ok, I kind of cheated here because there are two different recipes, but I couldn’t choose. I love both of these candied nuts, pecans in particular.
- Cracker Toffee. I usually make this at Christmas, and it is so addictive, I may have to start calling it “Crack Toffee.”
One year ago I published my first post, and it was about Monster Cookies--the cookie that was my signature item for a long time, the only thing I could bake, and the thing that started me on the path to baking addiction. In honor of the Monster Cookie, I am going to do a First Birthday giveaway of monster cookies. One dozen people will receive one dozen monster cookies. To be eligible, all you have to do is comment on this post. Tell me about something you have tried from the blog OR something you’d like to try (it does not have to be from this post) OR some other constructive comment. That’s it. I will enter the name of everyone who comments in a drawing and select twelve winners. Thanks for playing and good luck. Deadline: Friday March 11 at 11:59 PM Mountain Standard Time. Winners will be contacted via email or through the blog to arrange delivery or mailing.