Wow–glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for leaving a comment.
Now that Labor Day has passed, you know that we have entered the pumpkin, apple, cinnamon, spice, all things warm and cozy season, right? This recipe is the first pumpkin one I turned to this season because it is super yummy but super easy. It includes a yellow cake mix in the ingredients, but I don’t think anyone would ever guess it. This cake is nicely flavored and oh so sweet with that delicious glaze on top. Coffee cake usually makes me think of breakfast, but this one can easily serve as dessert also.
What are your favorite fall treats? Leave me a comment, and I will try to make your favorite soon, or maybe you can share an awesome recipe you have found. Thanks for reading!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 can pumpkin (15 ounces)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the crumb topping:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
For the brown sugar glaze:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 pan with butter or cooking spray.
- For the cake: In a large bowl, mix together the water, pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
- Add the cake mix and baking soda and mix until just combined. Pour this batter into the prepared pan.
- For the crumb topping: In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and flour and mix. Use your fingers to sprinkle over the top of the cake batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.
- For the glaze: When the cake is about half done baking, combine brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, and heavy cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir until all sugar is dissolved.
- When the cake is finished baking, immediately poke holes all over the top with a toothpick. Pour the glaze over the cake, making sure to cover all surfaces. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature.
Source: A mom from my former MOPS group gave it to me. No other source was cited.
8 Comments on “Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze”
Joel and I love pumpkin. I will be trying this recipe.
I made this recently for MOPS breakfast. It was so yummy!! Everyone loved it!! It was perfect!! Will definitely be making this more often!!
Ohhh myyy – how did I miss this? You had me at PUMPKIN!! 😀 This looks and sounds amazing and I know my family will love it. 🙂
So, I’m not a pumpkin kinda guy … but I tried this today and, well, still haven’t recovered. Awesome. Simply awesome!