Looks can be deceiving. We all know that and yet we still judge people and things by how they look. These bars don’t look like anything special–kind of plain, not a bit of chocolate–and yet every time I make them, I get rave reviews. I made these for church last week, and I had at least three people come up to me later and say, “I really liked those strawberry things you made.”
These ARE kind of plain and simple–easy to make, no fancy ingredients, and yet they are delicious. The main comment I get is that they taste kind of like sugar cookie dough. Not sugar cookies. Sugar cookie dough. The bars are unique; not quite cake and not wholly a bar either. Another surprise? They are another treat from Skinnytaste, the website for Weight Watcher’s friendly food.
Hmmm. You just might have to try them. And if strawberry is not your thing, switch out the pie filling to cherry or blueberry instead.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 and 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canned strawberry pie filling (or cherry or blueberry)
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with baking spray.
- In a medium-large bowl, use a mixer on medium speed to cream the butter with the sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Add the vanilla and the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the dough evenly into the prepared pan. It is a little sticky, so it may help to use an offset spatula to get it to stay in the corners. Use the edge of the offset spatula, a knife, or a toothpick to lightly score the dough into 24 pieces (6 rows of 4).
- Place a teaspoon of the pie filling in the center of each of the 24 squares. I usually try to get one chunk of fruit on each piece.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature and then sprinkle with powdered sugar before cutting and serving.
Source: SkinnytasteShare This:
I can attest to their yumminess!