Like most kids, my kids love pizza almost anytime anywhere. I have a whole section of my recipe binder that is titled “Pizza,” and I have found that it comes in many different formats. Of course there is regular pizza, but there are also things such as pizza puffs, pizza rolls, pizza casserole, tortilla pizza, pizza logs, pizza monkey bread, and today–pizza cupcakes.
No, these are not a sweet treat that tastes like pizza. That would be gross. That reminds me, have you seen the DumDums that come in pizza, bacon, and popcorn flavors? Ewww. My kids have not been fans. I am a bacon fan, but bacon lollipops? No.
These pizza cupcakes are savory but made in a cupcake pan and sort of cupcake shaped. They are more pizza than cupcake. These could be served as an appetizer, snack, or as a light lunch. This is also a great recipe for kids to help make if you want to get them involved in the kitchen. My daughter and I made them for lunch recently, and the kids gobbled them up.
Wonton Pizza Cupcakes
- your favorite jarred or homemade pizza sauce
- wonton wrappers (2 per cupcake)
- mozzarella cheese
- your favorite pizza toppings, diced or cut small
*Wonton wrappers are usually found in the produce section of the grocery store. At my store they are in a refrigerated case usually by the fresh herbs, pre-cut vegetables, and refrigerated vegetable dips and dressings.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a standard muffin pan with cooking spray for the number of cupcakes you plan to make.
- Place one wonton wrapper in each cupcake well for the desired number of cupcakes. Top each with a tablespoon or so of pizza sauce. Add a couple tablespoons worth of your favorite pizza toppings. (Tip: My kids love pepperoni. I cut the slices into fourths to make them a better size for the cupcakes.) Top with a tablespoon or so of mozzarella cheese.
- Add a second wonton wrapper on top of the filling in each well. Repeat the layers of sauce, toppings, and cheese. End with a pinch of oregano on top of each cupcake.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes until heated through and nicely browned. Let cool for a minute or two. Cupcakes should pop out pretty easily.
- Serve as an appetizer, snack, or light lunch entree. Cupcakes can be reheated, but they will lose their crunch in the microwave. They are best eaten immediately.
Source: Adapted slightly from Foodie McBootyShare This: